If you are a beginning English learner, you might find the lessons too difficult. We are going to be offering lessons designed for beginners soon. In the meanwhile, don’t get discouraged! Work with the Level 3 lessons using these suggestions:
- Look at the headlines and the image. Use these clues to guess what the article is about. Use a translator to understand the headline if necessary.
- Skim through the entire article. This means you look quickly through the article without stopping. How many words do you recognize? Names? Places? Dates?
- Go back to the article and try to read the first paragraph or first few sentences. You might run them through a translator. Focus on a few new words.
- Go to the “Resources” section and practice the new words. Run them through a translator if necessary. Listen to the audio and practice your pronunciation. Use the flashcards.
- Complete all the activities as best you can. Focus on the Listening and Pronunciation activities. Use the other activities as a learning experience. You might not get them all right, but that’s OK! It isn’t expected that you’ll get them right. The more you practice, the more words you’ll pick up.
- Focus on one section of CNN articles. You might focus on one section, such as Sports. By staying with one topic, you’ll start to see the same words again and again. This will help you make progress quickly!